Monday 7 May 2007

Balletjes



I felt a little bit of a bum last friday, and told my husband we'd just have pasta for dinner. bolognese. but somehow i felt a little bit guilty in fixing him a "lazy dinner" (not that he'd mind), so this lazy bum put a little bit more effort to the sphaghetti meal - i made some balletjes (meatballs).

I once thought i bought a can of plain tomato soup, but as soon as i opened the can, i saw tiny balletjes in them. the dutch love to have their soups with balletjes! i was careful from then onwards when i wanted to get a can of soup.

So, back to sphaghetti meatballs! I know they are the simplest things to make, but just thought i'd share it with you. so this is my version of it.




MEATBALLS

1 whole onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
600g minced beef
1 tbsp fresh or dried herbs (marjoram, rosemary, oregano)
salt
1tbsp light soy sauce
a few good grinds of black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3tbsp breadcrumbs
1tbsp cornflour
Oil to shallow fry them

Just put everything in a large bowl, and then, using your hands, mix to combine, before shaping into small balls. You might find it a little bit time consuming but the end result will be worth it. easy peezy, the slow process of shaping them can be quite calming (for me at least, when your 7+mths baby's in the good hands of his dad!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread last sunday. I only use thyme for my meatballs and mix of lamb/beef mince.

ZazaHardy said...

melina: thyme goes with beef and rosemary goes with chicken ke the other way round? i just dump whatever i had! but quite frankly, tak rasa anything pon! and how was your lamb and beef meatballs? lekker? i dont take lamb.. thats why i used only beef.

Z

Anonymous said...

I just like thyme. I use it for everything. My mix is always 25% lamb and 75% beef (or thereabouts). Gives it that extra something. And a dollop of dijon mustard is always good. Helps bind everything together.

ZazaHardy said...

melina: please teach more more!!!

Anonymous said...

Well....for my meatballs....25% lamb and 75% beef, thyme, dijon mustard, black pepper, minced garlic, finely diced onions, worchestershire sauce and sometimes a squeeze of tomato puree or some crushed chillies. Then shallow fry in olive oil. Just brown them off. Keluarkan the meatballs. Use the oil to make the sauce pastu masuk balik the meatballs to finish off the cooking. All depends on my mood really. The same recipe is used for my burgers. Same thing different shape kan. :)

ZazaHardy said...

i'm gonna make burgers la lepas ni! thank you! thank you! what's dijon mustard in dutch eh? hahaha.. after 1 year plus i just found puff pastry at the supermarket! muahs!! love you!

Anonymous said...

Dijon mustard in dutch??? Hmmmmm....dunno. But look out for the french brand Maille.....ada bendera french on the jar. Its the brand I use. I'm sure they'll have it in holland too kot.